Saturday, April 6, 2013

LOVE MY KANGOOS!!!



So this morning was the road test of my new Kangoo Jumps--and I LOVED THEM!!  I started out walking
just to get my bearings a bit, then started jogging and noticed that my heart rate went up really quickly.  Part of this is, no doubt, due to the fact that I have not run for almost a year now, and even though I have been doing some pretty intense cardio, running requires a certain endurance that can only be gained through ... well, running!

Every time I looked down at my heart rate on my watch it was over 165, at one point hitting 172, so I would slow down to a walk until I was back in the upper 150s, then I would hit it again.  Given my age, my absolute maximum heart rate is supposed to be 174, but clearly that is just a general guide since I was at 172 and not feeling at all like I was about to go down for the count!

The KJs themselves were SO FUN--I cannot begin to describe the feeling.  The website talks about this feeling of euphoria, and while that may be a bit of a stretch, it is definitely hard to feel anything but happy while doing this.  Since I'm not one to like people staring at me, it was a little hard to not feel embarrassed out there on the sidewalk with cars going by (and a transit bus at one point!), but I just tried to focus on the fact that I was out there in the cold (38 when I left the house ... brrr!) doing something good for myself.  In general I tried to avoid eye contact with the folks in their cars, but I caught a couple of stares.  One woman's mouth actually dropped as she turned her head to follow me, and another woman gave me a wonderful smile that made me feel like everything was okay.

Did I burn any calories, you ask?  YOU BET!!  I was only gone for 25 minutes and I took multiple walk breaks, but I still burned 252 calories.  YEP!  252 calories--so about 10 calories a minute.  I am really, REALLY looking forward to my next excursion, when I will go a bit further and stay out longer.  These things are a blast and I highly recommend that you try them.  If you are in a large metro area where they have classes using the KJs, try one if you can, since these things aren't cheap.  But seriously, try them!

HAPPY FITNESS!

Kangoo Starting Video

Kangoo Finishing Video

2 comments: